Friday, February 4, 2011

Why I gave up going to the gym!

I really don't know why I didn't start this blog sooner.  I guess it never occurred to me being a busy mom, wife, and teacher.  Anyhow, I have always loved exercise!  From the time I was a little girl, I remember signing up for Kids Jazzercise at the Public Library during their summer programs.  Then in college I took a step class.  After that, I worked the front desk at my local Jazzercise Studio to get free classes.  I was always encouraged to become an Instructor, although due to my busy life, I never did.  I went on  going to different aerobic workouts until I just started to get bored with it .  One day I was looking at Ross and came across a Tracie Long workout.  I purchased it and went home eager to try it out.  I was having fun with the idea of working out at home and eventually bought a few more workouts.  Then one weekend, my husband was watching tv when an infomercial came on.  He mentioned The Firm.  I ordered The Firm Body Sculpting System.  The rest is history.  From there I began a new lifestyle.  

I used the internet to research as much as I could about health and nutrition.  My DVD collection has grown to over a 100 workouts currently after about 8 years.  Exercise and nutrition is a way of life for me.  So your answer to my question... I gave up going to the gym because I became my own personal trainer.  I now exercise at home under my own schedule.  I don't have to worry about getting to the gym because it's right at home.

My take on exercise is that it is just like scheduling a doctor's appointment.  You have to be there!  Although I exercise at home, I make it a point to exercise 5 days a week (6 if I am not working).  With just as much as I am committed to exercising, I also have researched the importance of rest days.  You must give your body time to recuperate.  In the end you will have better results.  

Along with exercise, I am a firm believer that diet goes hand in hand with exercise.  I gave away my Fry Daddy a long time ago (I think I actually tossed it in the trash).  I really think twice about the kind of food that I purchase.  Although we have the occasional food at our favorite Mexican Restaurants, I rarely make anything that is fried.  

I have decided to start this blog primarily as a way to keep myself organized with all of my workouts, recipes, and health tips.  I hope that one day others may also find it useful as a resource for their own health, exercise, and nutrition.  It is my goal to add new information that I find, as well as my own journey down the road of fitness.

No comments: